Wednesday, September 22, 2010

A Refreshing Experience




Tonight, Kiera and I volunteered to serve food to the homeless at the Church Under the Bridge, located beneath I-45 at Pierce St. This was quite a humbling, yet refreshing experience, as I was blown away with how thankful and proud some of the people were who I met. I was amazed at how so many of these people, people who have lost their jobs, families, and homes, were still thankful for the air that they breath.
I volunteered with a group of friends and, together, we served 75 Double Dave's pizzas to the homeless. Although the meeting is focused around the church service, a large portion of the time is devoted to fellowship--people getting to know one another and just sharing experiences and stories. Although I was someone who came with a job and place to sleep, I walked away with a new understanding and appreciation for the many things that I take for granted.
So, now, as I sit here in my air-conditioned apartment, with the TV on in the background, and a working computer with Internet access, I wonder if some of the homeless men and women who I met aren't better off than I am. I know one thing for certain: they are more likely to enjoy and be thankful for every luxury that they receive. Whether they are sleeping in a shelter or in a park tonight, they're happy to be alive. I think that is a lesson of which we all can afford to be reminded.

4 comments:

  1. Well said bro! I also had a similar experience last night. I had tried 3 times to talk to three different homeless people and three times got, for lack of a better word, shunned by them.

    It was such a surreal feeling to be rejected by someone who seemingly had so much less than I did. However, as I sat by myself in the crowd I began to think about how I would feel if I were them.

    Knowing that a different group is there every night and that those groups probably do the exact same things as we did, and ask the exact same questions as we did, and try the exact same tactics as we did to get them to talk to us makes me understand more about where they are coming from. I know that the homeless population as a whole is a very proud group of people. Sometimes so proud that asking for help and/or getting assistance kills them inside.

    But as I sat there feeling like an outcast in the midst of societies outcasts I began to see my own pride welling up. The reason I felt shunned and rejected was that I was too proud to handle rejection by someone, I thought, would be glad to talk to me. I thought I was going to walk over and talk to them, and by doing that solve all their problems for that day. And the truth is, there is nothing further from the truth.

    All this being said, I think that building meaningful relationships with the homeless come down to two things above all, love and consistency.

    The ability to show someone you love them, and not the "Here is some of my spare change." love, but a "Here is my time and my conversation" type of love, can make the biggest difference in you ability to have meaningful relationships with the homeless.

    I'm with you Brian. I may know more about what college was like, or that a pillow top mattress feels like, but they know about life and all of its intricacies.

    There is much to be learned from the homeless, another "lesson of which we all can afford to be reminded."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comments, Ryan. I am glad that you have been chiming in on the discussions. Keep it coming! I just want to point out one thing that you said that really hits home for me. You said, "But as I sat there feeling like an outcast in the midst of societies outcasts I began to see my own pride welling up. The reason I felt shunned and rejected was that I was too proud to handle rejection by someone, I thought, would be glad to talk to me."
    Ultimately, the issue is that we see ourselves as saviors who can fix other people's problems. Instead of throwing ourselves in there like a modern-day superhero, we have to be willing to consistently show our love for the homeless. While my strength is certainly not talking to them, I could easily serve pizza and be the behind-the-scenes guy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mr. little that was nice of you! i dont know how to say what im about to say but, here it come.
    i think homeless people have a better life than other people. they have friends around them to help and support them. they are not only people but a new era of people who communicate in a good friendly way. now a days a common person has no friends because they are mean or weird but homeless people are like a pack of wolfs or a pack of people like in the book the outsiders. they dont NEED a perfect life just to live. they have it all, a big family, a life, and air to talk to their friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jonathan, your post shows wisdom beyond your years. Thank you for providing such valuable input!

    ReplyDelete