Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Look Back and First Impressions


My first impression of Project Chrysalis was not your typical teacher's first impression. Yet, it's probably one of the few first impressions that actually tell the truth as to the kind of students that attend here.

It was a hot August day. I am 23 years old, and have only been out of college for three months. I am originally from New York and can hardly stand the intense heat and humidity. Not to mention, my nervousness is causing me to sweat even more as the minutes wind down to the moment when I have to enter the cafeteria to meet the students for the first time.

Fast forward to first period. I have 6-2: Eli, B-Ster, Elysse, Garza...all in ONE classroom! And yet, it was a great class. In fact, my first impression of that class made me feel good about teaching. I felt as though I had made a really good choice. Sure, there were days when I doubted whether or not I had made the right choice.
Sometimes I thought to myself, "Ya know, if I would have stayed in New York, my life would be a lot less stressful." But the thing that I realized was that although teaching was stressful, it was also a source of joy. I was able to teach using humor. I was able to teach using current events. Teaching kept me young and in touch with what was going on with today's youth.

Now, entering my third year of teaching, I can honestly say that if my first impressions of teaching and PCMS students had not been so good, I might not be here today. I might have decided to move back to New York, or to pursue other goals.


Chrysalis students are truly one-of-a-kind. I know for a fact that I would not be able to find a group of amazing students anywhere but at PCMS. For this reason, I know for a fact that this year's eighth grade class will rise to the challenges that are before them. They will have to learn to do away with their negativity about separating the homerooms by gender. They will need to stay positive, be leaders, and give this year's new teachers the same great first impression that they gave me two years ago!
For your enjoyment, here are a few pictures of my first two years teaching:

6 comments:

  1. Well I hope that next year will change and all of our teachers as you said that when we live the school we know that the teachers took a good impression of us and hope that you keep teaching at pcms because you are a great teacher,Mr.Little.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. GO 6-1 WARRIORS! WOOOOHH! i love tht pic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. awwwwww you are the bestes teacher ever!! =D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! It sure seems that life for you has been challenging and that keeping up with your decision was hard but not impossible. I am glad you stayed here because I at least had the chance to meet you. What sucks is that you couldn't teach me for a whole year but at least you've thought me during summer school. I do appreciate for listening to me and I know you will help in anything that I might need. I hope your journey in PCMS continues as lovely as it is now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well Wolverine is in my favorites but nothing beats Batman :)
    Yeah I know, and don't worry I'll be visiting you a lot and I can't wait to see what else I'm going to learn from you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. well mr little i really enyoyed being with you since i was in 6th grade, you are my fav. teacher and its been a plessure to be your student. for most of us you have been a role model and you have you showded us a lot of things the past two years. i really have seen my improvement in writing and reading for 6th grade to eight grade. now that we wont have u as our teacher has been a real impact on some students like me. i hope that some of the new 7th graders will be able to appreciate your ability of teaching! well i will see you at school!

    ReplyDelete